Orsoniís fame goes back to Venice of the XIX century, thanks to Angelo Orsoniís initiative and artistic endowments. Born into a Murano family in the mid-nineteenth century, Angelo Orsoni spends his early years working in glass factories. Before long, what some of his colleagues consider a humble job, evolves into Orsoniís great passion and he becomes especially skilled in making crystal, colored glass and aventurine.
He is discovered by the celebrated mosaicist Giandomenico Facchina who, after receiving an important commission from France, opens a factory making mosaic tesserae in Venice and offers Orsoni a job producing smalti. When Facchina moves to France, young Angelo is reluctant to follow him and in 1888 is presented with the Venetian workshop.
The following year, Angelo Orsoni takes his work to the Great Exhibition in Paris.
When Angelo Orsoni set out for Paris in 1889, little can he guess at the success that his courageous, original idea is to bring him.
The success, when it comes, is enormous: his multicolored panel, created as a sample collection of smalti and mosaic gold, displayed alongside the most avant-garde techniques, immediately acquires artistic status and is considered a sign of its makerís genius, while representing Orsoniís first goal in a life dedicated to mosaic.
This is the age of Art Nouveau, when mosaic ceases to be regarded simply as a medium for religious works of art, and is used for the first time in secular art and decoration. Mosaic production enjoys a healthy revival.
At the start of the new century, Angelo Orsoni transfers his business to the Fondamenta di Cannaregio, where it is still situated. While he carries on experimenting with color, Orsoni manages to display his genius in the field of technical innovation, introducing coal heating and inventing a rotating cylindrical press to compress the incandescent glass paste, in this way giving the tesserae a more even surface.
Orsoniís name soon becomes linked to major projects and wins fame around the world.
After his fatherís death, Giovanni Orsoni does not betray the cultural and technical legacy inherited: he is responsible for the wonderful mosaic adornments on the spires of Gaudiís masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia Church, for those inside the Altare della Patria in Rome, and the astonishing Golden Room in Stockholm City Hall, where the Nobel Prizes are awarded. Giovanni is assisted by his son Angelo, who takes over the company upon his fatherís death in 1935.
After the war, the Orsoniís activities are renewed with vigor and enthusiasm and Angelo is joined by his son Ruggero.
When his father dies in 1969, Ruggero carries on the family business together with his brother Lucio Orsoni who adds a new component to the traditional production of smalti by opening a workshop creating finished mosaics.
In 2003 the Orsoniís entry into Trend Group seals the artistic sensibilities and experiences of Lucio Orsoni (now Angelo Orsoniís Honorary President) and Pino Bisazza, President of both Trend and the Venetian company.
Today, Orsoni mosaics can be admired in the furthest corners of the earth: from Westminster Abbey in London to the gilded domes and the Buddhas in Bangkok, from kingís palaces in Saudi Arabia to the artistic and religious works in Budapest, from the pagoda of the grand palace of the Royal Family in Thailand, to the Bund 18 in Shanghai.